May 20 - 27th, 2017
Paint with Evelyn Dunphy in Ireland
at Anam Cara on the Beara Peninsula
At this date, full payment is required with registration
Our first workshop in 2012 at Anam Cara was such a wonderful time that I was delighted to accept an invitation to return this spring. Anam Cara is a unique and very special place. We would like people to know that they are coming on retreat, meaning coming away
from the dailiness of their lives, to this quiet, beautiful part of Ireland to
become part of a creative workshop group to learn and find inspiration for their
art as well as to become part of a small, rural, Irish community.
Join us as we experience the haunting beauty that surrounds Anam Cara. The lengthening spring days offer plein-air opportunities in the colorful village of Eyeries, the nearby strand and mountains. Evelyn will lead us in painting the wild, rugged coastal views of this ancient landscape. Brightly colored cottages wind their way down the lane and the misty Killarney Hills overlooking Coulagh Bay reveal themselves in the ever-changing light - it's an artists' paradise.
Each day will include demonstrations of elements of landscape painting with lots of personal instruction.
"Develop your ability to look at the complexity of the scene in front of you, and focus your vision so as to design a good painting that speaks of the essence of the scene, rather than merely reporting the things in it".
The goal of Evelyn Dunphy's workshops is to share her painting knowledge and experience with each student in the way that will best help them to further their own personal development. As a result, she has become a sought-after teacher with waiting lists for her studio classes and workshops in Maine and Nova Scotia, Canada.
"Evelyn is the most informative, creative, sharing workshop leader one could ever find" - a student comment from her August plein air workshop at Frederic Church's camp on Millinocket Lake in Maine.
"I am just beginning to appreciate what I learned from you in the workshop. Things that I thought I knew but did not really understand are coming to life for me, and my work shows it".
A student in a workshop in Nova Scotia.
In this workshop you will learn how to judge the ratio of pigment and water in order to get the desired color and value the first time, combine pigments for glowing, transparent mixtures, use your brush most effectively, and begin to
"name the thing you are attempting to do. Naming it makes it possible to do it."
So bring your paints and your creative, open mind to this beautiful place and enjoy the best of all worlds: quiet time, great companions, wonderful home-cooked meals in a happy and invigorating environment with not a thing on your mind except your painting.
Note: This workshop is open to all skill levels. Beginners will be guided through the process of using watercolor successfully and experienced painters will be challenged to move out of their "comfort zone" and achieve greater mastery of the medium.
"I do believe that passion drives technique. If you really want to paint something, you will discover how to do it". Demonstrations will be in watercolor, other odorless media are welcome.
$2490 workshop fee includes:
- Tuition - daily watercolor class
- Room and Full Board - your single room w/bath will be in a traditional irish B & B in Eyeries village, a short scenic walk away; transportation to and from B & B to Anam Cara provided if needed. A few single rooms available at Anam Cara on a first deposit-first served basis.
- Breakfast will be at your B & B, with lunch and dinner at Anam Cara.
- Access to all amenities at Anam Cara including the common working areas, movie and music loft, the conservatory, hot tub overlooking Coulagh Bay (bring your bathing costume), the sauna and five acres of garden and riverbank groves with thirty-four quiet nooks and crannies.
- Minibus tour of Beara Peninsula
- An evening with a renowned story teller
- Non-painting partners fee is $1500.00. Breakfast in your B & B; bag lunch available as they enjoy area offerings (golf, fishing, hiking). They are welcome to join us at Aram Cara for dinner each evening at 7:00 pm.
Sue Booth Forbes, our gracious Anam Caram Hostess has a wealth of information on her website: www.anamcararetreat.com.
Space is limited - To reserve your place, please send an email to Evelyn at email@example.com to register. Workshop fee of $2490.00 should be mailed to Evelyn Dunphy, 596 Foster Point Road, West Bath, ME 04530. Payment may be made via PayPal, with a small PayPal fee.
Travel Information will be provided upon registration.